Saturday, March 14, 2009

Steps to silk dye painting a scarf




I cleared off the acrylic painting stuff off the dining table and set it up for silk painting for the new larger frame. First, the background is dyed a light golden copper color shaded from light to dark. I use the paper towel technique, which means I blend using paper towels.




Since I didn't wash the crepe de chine scarf before applying the dye, there were several blotches that showed up. This means "a challenge" and I get to work a design incorporating the blotches.




It may look like I'm scattered and working in too many different mediums, but the thing is, the dye takes a good bit to dry before I can draw with the gutta resist, and when applying layers of acrylic medium onto the canvas collages, those need to dry, too, before I procede. Therefore I work on several different pieces at a time. If I had space, I could work on 3 or more silk frames at a time, but since I don't, I have to utilize the dining table, the coffee table, and so forth. I do have another background dyed piece of silk stretched on a frame, but inspiration hasn't come forth with that one yet, so it waits.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm clapping my hands with glee because I'm going to see how you do your magic!~